My dog was stung by a bee. Should I be worried?

Bee stings are common this time of year as our dogs spend more time outdoors. Most often, a bee sting will result in no significant complications. A cool compress, such as an ice pack wrapped in a towel, can be applied to the site for 5-10 minutes to help with pain and mild irritation.

However, some pets have allergic reactions to bee stings.  The most common sign of a reaction in pets is a swollen face and muzzle. Hives can also be seen, especially on the pet’s sides or thighs. More rarely, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, or breathing changes can occur if the reaction is severe. Should any of these signs occur, your dog should be seen by a veterinarian immediately for medical intervention.

If your pet is stung, he should be monitored closely over the next two hours for any signs of a reaction. Should any concerns arise, please contact us at Hudson Veterinary Hospital as we would be happy to help you.

Dr. Crane

Call Us Text Us
Skip to content