My Dog Swallowed Something. What Should I Do?

Depending on the size of your dog and what exactly he swallowed, the answer may be as close as your medicine cabinet. Hydrogen peroxide can enable the dog to regurgitate the object. This should only be attempted for small, smooth objects that have recently been swallowed. If it has been more than half an hour since the object was swallowed, or if vomiting does not occur with two doses of peroxide, consult a physician.

Caustic, sharp or other objects that could cause damage to the GI or respiratory tract should never be treated with peroxide. Some of these objects may be “bulked up” with bread or other fiber sources and may pass through the GI tract with relatively little damage.

Swallowed coins may seem innocuous and many times they will pass on their own, but the metal in coins can cause a severe form of anemia that can be deadly. Coins should always be retrieved from the GI tract as soon as possible.

Multiple doses of peroxide can cause stomach ulcers, bloat and even rupture. It is ALWAYS best to consult with a veterinarian if at all possible before giving any kind of treatment.

For further advice or to schedule an appointment, call Hudson Veterinary Hospital at (330)650-2929.

Dr. Mark

Call Us Text Us
Skip to content