As the weather begins to warm, we await the swarms of cicadas that will emerge from the ground this spring. As the event draws nearer, you may be wondering what effect this will have on our four-legged friends.
Most dogs and cats will stay clear of the buzzing insects. Some pets, however, will chase or play with the flying bugs. Fortunately, cicadas do not bite or sting, and therefore do not pose a major risk to our pets. Cicadas are non-toxic to cats and dogs, should your pet ingest a bug. Because their chitinous shells can be difficult to digest completely, however, ingestions of multiple cicadas or their shells could cause mild gastrointestinal upset. In rare cases, obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract could occur if a large volume is consumed. Signs of obstruction often include lethargy, poor appetite, and vomiting. If you know your pet has consumed a large meal of cicadas and these signs are seen, please contact a veterinarian at Hudson veterinary Hospital, 330-650-2929