Dangers of Grapes and Raisins

Q

Can eating grapes kill my dog?

A

Yes! Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. It is not yet known why, but the evidence is clear that eating grapes and/or raisins can be fatal in dogs. All cases of grape or raisin ingestion should be treated as an emergency. Within two hours, a dog may show signs of illness by vomiting followed in the next few hours with diarrhea, lethargy, and increased thirst. The kidneys can be seriously damaged if the dog is left untreated, and the damage may be so severe that the final outcome could be fatal. 

Early awareness of your dog eating grapes and/or raisins is the key to a successful outcome. Aggressive treatment by your veterinarian in the first few hours can usually avert an unhappy outcome for your pet. Toxicity of grape and/or raisin ingestion in cats remains unclear, but avoidance is recommended.

Please call us at Hudson Veterinary Hospital if you have any further questions or veterinary needs. 

Dr. Bob

 Return to Ask the Vet