Bee Stings?

Q

What to do when my dog gets stung?

Yip! (Dog language for ouch!) Bee sting!

Now what? Like people, dogs can react to insect stings in a number of ways. Dogs who have not been stung before or are not allergic will react to the initial sting by licking or possibly limping. Relief can be as simple as applying a dab of baking soda mixed with a little water to the sting site. Benadryl given at 1 mg. per pound (1 tab for every 25 lbs.) can be given safely for mild swellings or hives.

Allergic dogs or dogs who have had multiple stings could be in a life threatening situation. It is best to seek immediate veterinary care. Treatment may require injections of steroids and/or epinephrine and hospitalization. Shock is a real possibility. It is best to act quickly.

Avoidance is always the best preventative. Avoid flower gardens on walks, and limit walks to the cooler parts of the day. If you find a stinger, flick it out of the skin. Avoid using tweezers which might inject more venom and cause more of a reaction. When in doubt, have your veterinarian give your pet a thorough skin exam.

Feel free to visit us at Hudson Veterinary Hospital or call 330 (650-2929).

Dr. Bob