A Bee Stung My Dog. What Should I Do?

Q

My dog was stung by a bee, what should I do?

A

As with people, dogs can have varying reactions to insect stings. Most often, itchiness and redness will occur at the site without further complications. Some dogs, however, can have a severe, even life-threatening, reaction including hives on the skin, swelling of the face, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or lethargy after a sting.  Should this happen, your dog should be taken to a veterinarian immediately.

 

Antihistamines or steroid injections are often a veterinarian’s first line of treatment for a dog with significant reactions to a sting, However,  more aggressive therapy is sometimes necessary. If bees or wasps frequent your yard, or if your pet has had an allergic reaction to a sting in the past, it may be beneficial for you to know a safe dose of Benadryl that you can give your pet in the event of a sting, as this may lessen or prevent a reaction.  If you would like to discuss preventative treatments for your dog after a sting, please contact us at Hudson Veterinary Hospital to set up a consultation.